I built all the pieces, painted them carefully, and then referred to the plans to assemble it. Unknown to Marissa (at The Design Confidential, who did a great job putting the plans together) and me, the product she based the plans on didn't work well. So I built a DUD.
We I spent quite a while trying to figure out how to make it work before I realized that the angles were all wrong, and that I needed to make it taller. That means that all the time I had spent painting the towers was a waste.
I was disheartened.
Really, I was. So I took almost a week to build a toy that really only took about two hours... I should really stop moping.
Here's the final product!!!
Ok, I have issues following plans. I don't think I've ever followed a plan to the "T". But I thought it would be unfair for two boys to have to share ONE racetrack! So this was what I came up with! It's a little over 3' tall, and a little over 2' wide.
It's a monster toy.
But the kid and I are still havin' a blast
playing with *ahem* TESTING it out...